Intelligent PrintScreen {Was: Re: OFF TOPICS: Printing windows help file}

This was particularly intended for the list member who signed on as "ca".
Unfortunately, he just unsubscribed, and I don't have his email address, so
he may not get to see this.

> ca wrote:
>
> > Date sent:       Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:17:44 -0800
> > Subject:        Re: OFF TOPICS: Printing windows help file
> >
> > News about your bookmark ?    <==
> >
> > > jr_fox wrote:
> > >
> > > I know I had bookmarked something like this, shareware or a
> > > commercial program with a demo version. It was supposed to offer
> > > great versatility in controlling *any* printing from WIN, such as
> > > demarcating just a selected portion of webpage(s) for sending to
> > > the printer. It could shrink the printed section to a desired
> > > size, or give you multiple small (but still identifiable) page
> > > images on a single page. It handled HTML and most likely the WIN
> > > Help files.
>
> Not yet, unfortunately. I need to do a better job of annotating the
> things I bookmark, some of which are captured in great haste, with
> intentions to revisit later.

{snip}

I was doing some hard disk housekeeping, and stumbled across a couple
better candidates for what this probably was. Most likely it was FinePrint
(used to be FinePrintWeb, which was "adware", now replaced by
FinePrint2000). Their site is still up. I have HTML description files and
the link, if anyone's interested. It seems to be geared more towards
capturing stuff from web pages, but may do Win HELP files too. They seem
to have a family of products.

Another possibility was a piece of freeware from 1999 called PRINTKEY. It
used to be available on ZDnet, but like a lot of other software --
including plenty of things that they rated very highly at the time -- it
isn't there any more. This seems to happen a lot, as I've found other
cases like this at TUCOWS and other huge s/w archives. However, in this
case I downloaded the file. (May even have FinePrintWeb somewhere.)

The lessons here, folks: 1) Sometimes it pays to be a packrat. & 2) When
you come across something online that looks quite interesting (maybe it has
just been mentioned in a magazine article or praised in a review), grab it
right away, because it may not still be there later.

Jordan