Re: Footnotes/Endnotes formatting

Harry Binswanger wrote:
I may be missing something, but I wouldn't isolate the XX by the and which will print out in the end. Instead, use ≪NI≫, "note invisible" which doesn't print.
I think it's really more a matter of habit and taste. I don't use
≪NI≫, but wouldn't you have to strip it out from the endnotes to show
and print page numbers, so functionally you'd end up in the same place
as with  tags. And, here's the habit [or is it taste] part, after
nearly 20 years of working with SGML-style tagging, I prefer to have a
clearly marked end tag, such as , when I search for fields.
That would simplify the loop I just sent you, but how do you get the sequential footnote numbers out of there, if you do it this way? SF1 is supposed to suppress the sequential numbers, but I can't get it to work. The loop I sent assumes that the endnotes are already "dumped" to the bottom of the file (which they are if you TYS them, but maybe you can't do it that way). Surely there must be a better way>
Even if there isn't, a little cleanup program should take care of it. And since NI or PN have to be cleaned up too in the endnotes, it could all be done as one and be reused next time.

-paul

--

PO Box 144
Kemblesville, PA 19347

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. -- The Borg
Cooperate with the inevitable. -- Dale Carnegie