Re: Solving Win7/XP/3.1 issues ONE/PS

Hi,

Welcome to the wonderful world of DOS/Win 3.1. Windows 3.1 is fine, and
I use an entire suite of applications within VirtualPC 2007, including
QuarkXPress 3.32, Ventura 4.2, etc. It is quite difficult to find new
applications for Win 3.1, a good file manager is important, fortunately
there is Total Commander which is up-to-date (you get a modern version
and Win 3.1 version for one lisense fee). XTreeGold is what I use as a
DOS application. Unfortunately, good Win 3.1 stuff is not freeware, and
there is no way to buy it either. There are a few computer museums online:

1) http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/
2) http://www.digibarn.com/
3) http://www.hp9845.net/9845/
4) http://www.hpmuseum.net/index.php

Networking Win 3.11 is a pain in the ass, so my solution is to use the
shared folder approach, which is simple to set up and works well.
Unfortunately, this is available only in the VirtualPC 2007 using the
2004 DOS additions I mentioned earlier. I think this is the way to go if
you want to work in the DOS/Win 3.1 environment. But if you want to use
XyWrite in a 32-bit Windows environment, you should consider VirtualBox
running W2K which is more robust than VirtualPC 2007. If you are happy
with plain DOS without Win 3.1, FreeDOS has networking, but cannot run
Win 3.1x.

I think there will not be a ready-to-run DOS/Win 3.1 package, as the
reasons to run this stuff are various and there are unsurmountable
copyright issues. DOS 6 is not freeware. Win 3.1x is not free. If MS
would free DOS and Win 3.1 for hobbyists, it would be great, but I do
not see that happening anytime soon.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)