Re: XyWrite for Programming

Reply to note from Paula Emery  Tue, 25 Jul
2000 15:52:37 -0400

-> ... we have used ADP's DOS version for several years and are
-> having to convert to their PC Payroll for Windows program. ...
-> I currently use XyWrite III+ Version 3.55 on DOS to print
-> attendance sheets for each respective dept in my company. ... I
-> run a report in ADP that picks out all active employees. I
-> then open the file in Professional Write (I believe this is
-> because XyWrite does not recognize ADP's report). I then
-> convert into XyWrite. ... a program in Xywrite ... then takes
-> this employee list and puts in the appropriate page breaks and
-> spacing to print the items on pre-printed forms.
->
-> I don't believe I'm going to be able to use this once I go on
-> the Payroll Windows version of ADP

No reason why you shouldn't be able to -- provided that you can
convert a report generated by ADP for Windows into XyWrite format
(or a format, such as plain Ascii text, that XyWrite can
understand). If that conversion remains possible, then your XyIII+
program should still work, though some adaptation may be required.

Even if you can't convert ADP for Windows reports to XyWrite or
Ascii, you still might be able to use XyWrite to format and print
your attendance sheets. What I'm saying is, it might be possible to
open the ADP report file directly in XyWrite, and then to use a
XyWrite program (albeit one substantially different from the one
you're using now) to create the attendance sheet.

So, the first thing to find out is whether you'll be able to convert
ADP for Windows files into a format that XyWrite can understand
(XyWrite or plain Ascii). If conversion is possible, then you'll
need to test your program to see if it still works. If it doesn't,
we can adapt it for you.

If it turns out that you can't convert ADP for Windows files, then
you'll have to provide samples of an ADP for Windows report and the
attendance sheet you want to produce from the data contained in the
ADP report, and we'll figure out if it can be done in Xy v3.55, a
later version of XyWrite, or not at all. (If confidentiality is a
problem, you may want to substitute John and Jane Doe's for your
real employees' names.)

If any of this isn't clear, write me off-list.

Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/