Re: XyW Installation

Patricia G wrote:
We've had so many cases here of people having trouble installing XyWrite
for DOS under 32-bit Windows ... All one would need to do would be copy the whole thing to the hard drive of a new PC, and avoid Microsoft's resistance to the installation routine, which could be dicey even in Win 95.
I was wondering what on earth could be the difficulty in installing Xy, now
I see you tried to install it through Window's installation routine. Sure,
now I can see the problems. XyDOS is not a Windows program and does not
need to be "installed" at all. Just copy Editor.exe to your hard drive.
Everything else (startup.int, even) is more or less optional--though of
course highly desirable.
But the main thing is: like all programs in the good ol' days, Xy does not
need to be "installed"--and apparently resists the attempt! This is not a
bug in Xy but a great advantage.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx