Re: Netscape, XyWrite, and the Media

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harry Binswanger"
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2000 6:29 AM
Subject: Re: Netscape, XyWrite, and the Media

> At 11:17 AM 2/22/00 +0900, Renee wrote:
> >Uhh... you mean to say MS does *not* have contracts with manufacturers
for
> >installing their OS before shipping? You mean, we can go and by a PC
> >*without* Windows installed? Can you tell us where?
> >
> The clone-maker down the street offered to do that if I wanted a Linux
> system. I wonder if Dell or the others offer that? And then there's Apple.
> Or, roll your own by buying the components separately.
>
> (The political point is that manufacturers only pre-install Windows
because
> they believe, correctly, most of their clients want it pre-installed.)

FWIW, I checked the Transcend PC website. Anybody can still buy a custom
computer with no OS installed. If you want Win98 installed, you pay 90 extra
bucks. The computer prices are very reasonable.

So, there should be no more crying about "having to buy" Windows.

As for how Windows works, I just know that of the six computers my biz
partner and I oversee -- ranging from a P90 to a PIII 450 -- none crash,
none glitch, none have any real problems. It's been that way for years.

Walter Jowers, Nashville
E-mail: walter.jowers@xxxxxxxx
Biz website: http://www.nashscene.com/~housesense