Re: Possible activity heading towards XyWrite replacement

But . . . but . . . but . . . Harry,
I'm _happy_ in my fools' paradise. Box-standard was good enough for me;
I don't need the endless tweaking you so evidently relish.

Brian,
PM 6.52 delivered with a QuarkXpress converter (both ways, if I'm not
misremembering). PM6 will also "File>export" as HTML. Also, if you mark
a block of text, "File>export" offers a "text" option. I've never tried
these functions, so I don't know what formatting (if any) is preserved.

If you import the PM6 files into InDesign (the successor to PM7), you
can "File>export" to XML. InDesign can also "File>export" marked text as
.rtf, "text only", and various other formats some of which are Adobe
proprietary.

For further information, there are PM forums (both Win and Mac) at

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbf2761/

While I agree that PM is sometimes cludgey to operate, it has the
advantage of seamlessly importing Photoshop and Illustrator files
(including layers); Photoshop and Illustrator are industry
standards--there's simply no getting round them. And that's the sort of
work I do. Sometimes interoperability is the operative factor.

Y'all,
While MS is not going to disappear any time soon, I think the future of
XY must be seen outside the MS box. A complete re-write of the code to
run natively in Linux or Mac OS is not realistic. That suggests that
we're committed to emulators, virtual machines, and simulated
environments (Parallels or whatever) for the foreseeable future. We are,
after all, a tiny and, let's face it, archane, market segment. No one is
going to cater to us; strictly self-service from here on out.