TAME Pre8

D. Thomas has yet to solve the problem of some small artifacts.
Invoking the thesaurus dialog and returning to the text window, I get
a cursor rectangle (my normal XY setting) with a line through it
three-quarters of the way down the rectangle. I also get an hour
glass where the mouse pointer formerly sat on the screen. Both
disappear when I click outside the console then return. I also have
to add the following to Xywrite.app.tam to increase the key repeat
rate for delete:

/KeyGroupDef GroupName = Custom1
   RepeatChannel=BIOS RepeatRate=25
   IncludeScan=#53   ;** DEl   ...

Maben, testing Pre8, reports:

> >  It's stable on my laptop compared
> >  to the earlier versions, but I am still having a few
> >  problems. It deposits the figure "2" at various
> >  places in the text, and sometimes the letter "W".
> >  I can't see any regularity in the way it does this.
> >  I am also have problems setting up the italics and
> >  superscripting. It complains about my colour choices,
> >  when there seems to be nothing wrong with these.
I got the 2's and W's in an earlier iteration, but not in this one, Pre8. Also I'm not sure Harry's procedure of simply renaming folders to test the latest version and leave the working version on the drive works on all systems, though D. Thomas says it should. I found that you must be careful to copy your working _default.pif.view-tam (this is the Tame 5.1 folder under My Documents) and store it in a safe place, then copy it back to said location if you revert back to your previous working version. This makes me think there may be files or settings left over from previous TAME installs on Maben's system. Since TAME -- a working version of TAME -- is so vital to my daily output, I'm careful to preserve the two main settings files -- _default.pif.view-tam and Xywrite.app.tam. I tuck away copies of them, uninstall PreX, install PreY, test it plain then with the files I've saved. A bit of pain, but....

Michael Norman