Re: XyWrite for Windows

Robert Holmgren  replied:

>> Bob Brody:

>> In Xy 3.55, and other versions, we can integrate our own XPL
>> with the help facility and I created numerous routines that
>> interactively utilize 3.55's ability to fashion custom help
>> frames; Type 5, Type 1, Type C, etc., etc.

Robert Holmgren:

> Some of the frame Type-names have changed, but basically it's
> all there. RTM, it's pretty thorough;

I haven't been through every detail in the manual yet (next week
after I finish my current project I'll have a few weeks to
breathe and dig into this material) but I don't see anything in
the manual about help frame types or respective programming.
And, thus far at least (still working through), I haven't come
across any screen frame Types in SMARTSET or REORGNZ for user
input. Just command line input routines (which is frankly what I
wish to avoid). For example:

The DEADLINE routine in SMARTSET takes a start date argument,
then Enter, then a deadline date argument, then Enter. My
deadline routine, albeit for more than one project nevetheless
pops up an input frame (I forget the frame Type names/numbers)
which has a fill-in field for current/today's date and time
(already auto-filled in as a default but can be user changed) and
a fill-in field for due date. Then Enter presents a command line
result.

Most of my conditional routines work along those lines; i.e., a
pop-up frame Type with fill-in fields to enter all the arguments
in one frame rather than one argument at a time, each followed by
Enter on the command line. Fill-in frames allow for making
changes, more room for explanatory conditions, easy recollection
if distracted, etc.

But I haven't as yet found any reference in the manual to types
of Frames available or examples. Perhaps I'll come across an
interactive fill-in frame routine in SMARTSET or REORGANZ but
thus far they're all command line routines. In the fill-in
frames I have from III+ you can then use the contents of each
filled-in field as a %parameter in the respective XPL.

Is there exampled documentation regarding the types of Frames
that are available? You mentioned the Xy4DOS Customization Guide
offers pretty much everything that's missing from the XyWin
manual (which thus far per my reading of it is pretty much
everything apropos this area of customization). Does the Xy4DOS
Customization Guide go into this, as well as into the newer XPL?
Numerous more complex routines we hashed out in III+ are bombing
mercilessly in XyWin and I'd like to bring a few of them up to
date but haven't a basis for ferreting out why they're bombing
since they work fine in III+ XPL. For example, the case-
preserving search/replace pgm we developed and so on. Wishful
thinking that there's actually programming documentation
available for current XPL??

Thanks,
Bob