case-preserving search/replace

Looking through the XyWin manual about search/replace, options,
wildcards new to me since Xy III+, etc., I'm looking for
indication that search/replace in XyWin supports case-preserving
replacements. I don't see reference to this, indeed to the
contrary, "The replacement string is always inserted just as it
was typed, no matter what capitalization the string being
replaced has." That's fine but what about the more useful option
of replacements made that do preserve case?

  change: alphonse
    to: albert

Thus Alphonse becomes Albert, ALPHONSE becomes ALBERT, etc. if
one wishes, obviously, to preserve the case of found text when
replacing.

Since the various options and wildcards are new to me, perhaps
I'm overlooking how to write a search/replace string that
accomplishes case-preserving replacements. Do'able? If not, is
there a macro available?

Thanks.

Bob