Re: Netscape

Netscape Navigator is the browser; Netscape Communicator is the package
that includes it, and that is what I was talking about. The current
version is 4.51. It comes with various modules you may or may not want.
The four I installed are Navigator, Messenger (the email client),
Collabra (discussion groups), and Page Composer (the HTML editor). I did
not want the AOL Instant Messenger, a gimmick to trap people into
becoming AOL users, or various multimedia plugins.

NC comes in two encryption strengths, 40-bit and 128-bit. You may need
the latter to access certain sites (e.g., financial), but you have to
fill out a government affidavit, specifying that it is not for export,
to get it.

Download is free, but takes a while--I think it was 11MB. There is an
option called SmartDownload that lets you do the job in more than one
session. It also incorporates some gimmick, so I suggest choosing
"Download w/o SD" if you can get along without it. To get it, go to
www.netscape.com/download/index.html.

Cheers,
--
Nathan Sivin