Re: Netscape

On 04/05/99 at 09:33 AM,
  Nathan Sivin  said (in so many words):

<- Netscape Navigator is the browser; Netscape Communicator is the
<- package that includes it, and that is what I was talking about. The
<- current version is 4.51. It comes with various modules you may or may
<- not want. The four I installed are Navigator, Messenger (the email
<- client),
<- NC comes in two encryption strengths, 40-bit and 128-bit. You may need
<- the latter to access certain sites (e.g., financial), but you have to
<- fill out a government affidavit, specifying that it is not for export,

The Netscape mail program is pretty lousy. More to the point most
competent mail programs will allow clicking on web addresses to wake the
browser (mine allows setting whatever browser you like) and similarly for
ftp addresses and mailto links. Netscape and Microsoft do indulge in the
very very annoying practice of having their software default to appending
html versions of mail messages; this can be overridden but many in
gullible public have simply no idea how to change defaults and no idea
why many of us find html attachments, uselessly coding up simple text
messages, so irritating.

The sites where I've downloaded the 128 bit encryption Netscape seem to
simply verify that your domain is a US one and the "affidavit" consists
in clicking an "I agree" box.

--
                     Regards,
                     David

Food is an important part of a balanced diet." -- Fran Lebowitz
"What would life be without arithmetic, but a scene of horrors?"
            -Rev. Sydney Smith, letter to young lady, 22 July 1835

David Auerbach              David Auerbach
Department of Philosophy & Religion
NCSU
Box 8103
Raleigh, 27695-8103