Re: (crosspost) XY still better than word...

:   ... for writing:
:   --------------- from newslib-l
---------------------------------
:      an appreciationfrom Rupert Murdoch papers
:
:   Sender: owner-newslib@xxxxxxxx
:   From: Frank P Dunn
:   To: newslib@xxxxxxxx
:   Subject: Re: Enhancing Using Word
:
:   >  Is anyone using Microsoft Word for enhancing? Or are
you using some
:   >other word processing or text editing program (other than
the vi text
:   >editor) which you can heartily or even halfheartedly
recommend?
:   >  We have 250 Save/Gets programmed into our Atex system
which enhancers
:   >use to retrieve column names, groups of keyword, etc., and
I'm afraid
:   >that Microsoft Word's macros or AutoText feature will not
be as
:   >effective or fast.
:
:   Editorial Database here make heavy and effective use of
Xywrite plus server
:   side scripts. DOS version, extensive macro language and
above all fast.
:
:   Frank Dunn,Editorial Services Systems Manager,News
International
:      Newspapers Ltd., 1 Virginia St.,London, UK, E1 9BD
:    fdunn@xxxxxxxx +44 171 782 6384 +44 171 782 5213
fax
:     Frank@xxxxxxxx http://www.brazen.demon.co.uk

Yes. The list gives very little sense of how widely xyW's used by

newspapers. I've never used an Atex system, but an editor I
worked with
had and started xyW at the same time I did. Similarity to Atex
made him
feel at home even though he was as computer-illiterate as
virtually all
newsmen. One time, feeling an affinity because of the name he
opened
editor.exe. When he saw the screen, he did what he always did to
close a
file, stored it. Bye bye, editor.exe.