Re: Foreign characters in English text

Tim:

>These are called "dead accents" - a remnant of typesetting days when you
>could hit a dead accent character and the carriage wouldn't advance until the
>next character was typed. I suspect someone typing *only* French could save
>key strokes with dedicated character keys. You'd have to find a place for
>them in your keyboard table.

Hey, there's ALWAYS place for anything in your keyboard table (.kbd file),
thanks to Xy's wonderful programmability: simply pick a new key to use as a
shift key. E.g., I use the second ENTER key, the one on the right hand
numeric keypad, as a shift key, so I have the whole previous keyboard to
redefine--i.e.,

table=ENTER
1=
2=
3=
etc.

table=ctrl+ENTER
1=
2=
etc.

table=alt+ENTER
etc.

table=ctrl+alt+ENTER
etc.

There's nothing special about the key I chose (the second ENTER). You could
simply separate left SHIFT and right SHIFT and thereby double your .kbd
options.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx