Re: Typing in Shorthand

Morris,

This is a very useful file. I've been trying to work out a shorthand system
for years.

I interview people on the telephone. I take notes pretty fast, and I
abbreviate a lot.

But I found that I can't abbreviate too much, unless I use a standard
system. If I'm interviewing doctors, then I can use "doc" to stand for
"doctor". If I'm interviewing a lawyer, I can use "doc" to stand for
"document". But I have to decide which one to use consistently.
"Experience" and "example" are two that I always have trouble with. It
takes me a remarkably long time to decide on which abbreviation to use. I
need a list prepared by somebody who is more decisive.

I too work in 3.55. I believe that you don't even have to use an expansion
program--3.55 can use the automatic spell correction feature to expand
abbreviations. You treat the abbreviation as an error, and it "corrects"
with the expanded word.

That's one of the features that was disabled in the "dehanced" version
3.57, after PRD+ sued XyQuest to remove the expansion feature. PRD+ was the
add-on shorthand program, and they claimed a patent for the idea of
expanding abbreviations. They had a pretty sophisticated system, and I was
tempted to buy it, but I didn't like the idea of their suing Xy.

I'm going to look over this list. I don't think I could adopt it entirely,
but I could use a lot of it. "z" for "is" is pretty good. This is actually
about 1,000 words, I'd guess. That should cover about 99% of the word
frequency.

Thanks for sharing this.