Re: WLAN insecurity

Flash wrote:
Yes indeed. Many broadband/DSL links these days are always on (flat rate
billing made this viable). There's the rub. I turn my router off when I
go to bed.
What about if you turn you PCs off? Can stuff get into the modem/router (which you don't want to turn off, because it takes 15 minutes to reinitialize if you do) and then infect your PC? Or are you safe while the PCs are off?
PS Philosophical aside: I have found that those who claim that virtue is
its own reward seldom also think that vice is its own punishment.
IIRC, both Socrates and the Stoics (who subscribed to the first,
though I'm not sure who gave it that lapidary formulation)
accepted the second also. That did not, of course, mean that they
thought that should be the _only_ punishment.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx