Re need a new printer, but how to configure?

Robert Holmgren (sorry about the typo; mea maxima culpa) wrote:
"to have ladies feeling that they must, finally (if nobody else steps
forward), assist
other ladies"
Gender had nothing to do with it. I had just investigated the EscP/Raster
scam in connection with my own new Epson, so thought it was an area where
I could contribute something. If it appeared that I was waiting for
someone else to step forward, I get the digest, so I don't see the
postings one by one, but all in a lump the next day.

The rest of Robert's comments were right on target. I think the printer
database is a great idea (see next post). Also the one we started a while
back but that then died out, of determining which BIOSes and chipsets
worked best with XyWrite: allowed EMS memory, fewer or no screen and
keyboard problems, and error beeps for those of us who want them. But
compiling all that, never mind getting it on line, will be a lot of work.

I have been reading some very scary things about where M$ is trying to
take this industry. Forget backward compatibility. They're planning yet
another file system. Now, in theory, it might have some good things in
it: e.g., there would be a provision for comments that would appear in a
directory listing. But it means that all older software would be
unusable. The OpSys would also have the ability to disable itself and
applications if M$ decided they were "too old" and hadn't been upgraded.
Evil empire indeed, and long live Penguins!
Patricia