Re: Association Conundrum

Dear Otis:

Your advice is correct for opening XY by clicking on its desktop
icon. But what flummoxes me is a more complicated problem, namely
getting *.xy files to open in XyDOS when I click on the filename
in Explorer or Powerdesk. That is a matter not of shortcut
settings, but of file associations.

To change the latter (which are much easier to set than change),
you have to
1. Fire up Windows (not Internet) Explorer
2. Choose View, Options
3. Hit the File Types tab
4. You are now confronted with all the file types for which there
are already associations. Page down to the one you want and
choose it.
5. Hit Edit.
6. Look at the list of actions. Choose Open.
7. Hit Edit.
8. Change the association to what you want. There are no choices
of working directory, batch file, etc. That's the trouble.
9. Back out.

As I said, some settings open the file but without loading
STARTUP.INT, and others load the latter but do not open the file.
If someone who has no problem can tell me exactly what
association is visible at step 8, that may solve my problem.

Thanks and cheers,
--
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science