ATEX

I subscribe to a listserv mainly enlisting retired wire-service journalists,
and here are a couple of quotes commenting on XYWrite that surfaced with the
announcement the NYTimes was abandoning ATEX. Nothing this family doesn't
already know, but we can appreciate there are mourners out there:

" ...XyWrite actually came up with a Windows version. In DOS it was probably
the fastest word processor known to man. It was all ascii. It fit on a
floppy and you could actually write your own printer driver. Playwrites
and scriptwriters, along with the entire publishing industry, loved it
because it was completely customizable. It's downfall, along with all
the others, was Windows. None of them, including Wordperfect, were able
to move as fast as the Gates team to the graphical platform. They also
were not able to compete with Microsoft's marketing juggernaut...."
			-o-
"...Unfortunately, the Windows version never measured up. Didn't help, of
course, that the ownership kept bouncing around, either.
"XyWrite was why I resisted Windows for so long, but finally had to make
the move when I went freelance and had to give the clients what they
wanted in the format in which they wanted it.
"Still miss it, tho. Great word processor...."
                         Ted Stannard

=====