Re: Off-topic: Backing up non-DOS files in Windows 98

I can't say I understand your problem (Win98 can't copy to E? huh?). But to
answer your question, there are two ways:
1 1. use the short version of the filename with a tilde (e.g., for My
Documents, it's mydocu~1),

or, 2. put the name in quotes--e.g., "c:\My Documents"
I disagree with the post that said it is hard to do this DOS. You should use Xcopy32.exe, which is there with Win98. Xcopy32 preserves long filenames, so it won't (as Copy will) change all the filenames to the tilde-ized versions.

But the easiest way to back up is onto a second hard drive, and they're cheap.
I have no problem backing up all my Xywrite files on Zip disks. But I'm having a problem with all my non-DOS files -- all those Word and PDF documents. I have a Zip drive (Drive E) , but Windows 98 only offers me the option of copying to a disk in Drive A -- i.e., to small floppies. The answer would appear to do these transfers in DOS. But I can't figure out the correct DOS directory name for "My Documents", for example. Can anyone on the list tell me how to identify non-DOS files at the DOS prompt, so I can copy them onto a Zip disk in Drive E?
    Lynn Brenner
    BrennerNY@xxxxxxxx

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx