Re: Further to Portable NB batch file

Robert,
So far so good. Got NB to run both ways -- from a subfolder on the thumb and from the root of the thumb.

Some thoughts:
1) Although it's running on the thumb, when NB comes up, it's pointing to the root of the HD. If you cmd DIR you get that directory. But if you use the program's OPEN dialog, it highlights the thumb drive. This may be neither here nor there, but it's something to be aware of. I haven't tried it yet, but I assume if you remove subst Z: /D from the launchnb.bat, you'll open in Z:, but then you have to follow your original instructions to kill Z: when you're done. I suppose this is a favorite flavor issue.
2. I agree: running under the root of the thumb makes updating
easier, and that's the way I'm going to go.
3. If you fresh install and update to Z: to begin the build and want
your settings from your HD install, you have to remember to follow
the part of your original instructions, to wit: copy over the .ini,
.dfl, and nbstart.int and your modified .kbd then ch
!{Wild-L}:\NBWIN!Z:! each file. I'd add that you also have to
remember to copy over all your U2 files, four I think.
4. I was running the bat from WIN's run dialog with *nblaunch.bat*
and it was leaving an orphan DOS window when I quit. *nblaunch*
instead got rid of that.
5. Here's the fussy part: I have a couple of fonts I like to use with
NB for screen fonts. I can carry them on the thumb and install them
on the host, but then I'd have to uninstall them, or leave them, when
I'm done. Is there a simple fix here?
So far, this is almost as good as sliced bread. Thanks very much for
all the work on it.

Michael Norman

At some point, if you're putting together a package for XyWWWeb