Re: Further to Portable NB batch file

** Reply to message from Michael Norman
on Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:48:48 -0400

> Although it's running on the thumb, when NB comes up, it's
> pointing to the root of the HD.

After you **newly installed NB on Z:** ? Pointing at WHAT root
of what hard disk? The hard disk isn't involved. You plug the
thumb into the host, and it becomes e.g. F:. You run LAUNCHNB
and it maps F: to Z:. No hard disk involved here. Now, if you
just copied over an installation that used to be on a hard disk
to your thumb, then of course NB thinks it is still in the
location where it was originally installed, C:\NB or whatever
the default is, I forget.

> If you fresh install and update to Z: to begin the build and want
> your settings from your HD install, you have to remember to follow
> the part of your original instructions, to wit: copy over the .ini,
> .dfl, and nbstart.int and your modified .kbd then ch
> !{Wild-L}:\NBWIN!Z:! each file.

Well, I'd CV, not CH -- you really have to look & think
carefully. I would modify the INI file rather than overwriting
it with something "copied over" -- there's some binary code in
there. And don't forget that there are some things that simply
won't work, like the installed printers stanza.

> I'd add that you also have to
> remember to copy over all your U2 files, four I think.

Two. U2 and REG, which latter also needs to be modified for Z:.
It goes without saying (is unnecessary to say) that any
documents on which you depend, or files which are dependencies
of NBSTART.PM, need to be on the thumb. The purpose of this, I
assume, is to do work.

> I was running the bat from WIN's run dialog with *nblaunch.bat*
> and it was leaving an orphan DOS window when I quit. *nblaunch*
> instead got rid of that.

You're saying that not typing ".BAT" made a difference?? I
dunno. If my computer is running, I have a DOS Prompt (a
CMD.EXE session) running too, and that's what I use, always.

> screen fonts. I ... install them
> on the host, but then I ... uninstall them, or leave them, when
> I'm done. Is there a simple fix here?

No. But there are some utilities that can install/uninstall
fonts in the Fonts folder in batches, which would be a one-key
solution -- I've used one, just don't remember what it is. Poke
around, you'll find something.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx