XP--screen length

I have read the recent thread about screen length, and don't find anything
to help me with a problem I have had both with my old Dell 8100 laptop and
my replacement 8500. Resolution is 1920x1200.

Here's what I want:
A Dos Window (I can't work full screen -- the fonts are too ugly, and though "focus" would be nice, I I'm in a very unfocussed phase, and as far as I remember, the DOS full screen font problem has already been solved).

40 lines
Font Lucida Console 28 points

Here's my problem:
I can NEVER get the Dosbox to honor my 40 line setting. It always changes the _screen buffer_ size
to 43 lines for some reason, no matter what I do.
The result is that I get that nasty vertical scroll bar in the Dosbox window, and actually have to use it.

That's a pain.
Is there any way to avoid it? After experiencing the problem on two systems, I have concluded it's a bug in XP/Home/dosbox, but of course I could be wrong.
I get the same problem whether I invoke XyWrite 4 from a shortcut or invoke
a command window and then execute editor.
It doesn't seem to have anything to do with XyWrite per se. For example, I
just opened a command box that has all parameters set for 40 lines.
However, the minute I invoke XyWrite 3, to see if I get the same problem, I
do get the same problem, even though SL is the default 25. The vertical
scroll bars appear and buffer and "properties" shows that "screen buffer
height" is now 43; I can change it back to 40 all I want but the system
refuses to honor it. The minute I quit XY3 or Xy4, the problem goes away,
but of course I am no longer running a program and that isn't where I want
to be.
Has anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering if some change to the
registry can be made?