Seiber fonts

re: recent comments on Seiber fonts

Unfortunately, in W2K they don't necessarily work. Seiber has a caveat on his DOS-fonts page

- In rare cases the new font sizes aren't listed in the font settings of DOS-Boxes and console
windows of Windows NT4, 2000 and XP even the fonts are installed correctely.
So far I've not been able to reproduce it and I've no idea what's the reason.

I got that very result. I checked the M$ knowledgebase link he provides and have not been able to
get anything I can use from it.

It says:
In Windows 2000 the installation of Console Fonts is no longer automated.

There is a workaround provided that involves registry modifications that I don't understand well
enough to play with (so I'm not, lest I screw something up)

There is also a comment on the M$ page -- "If it is not a TrueTyper font, it must be
OEM_CHARSET"

Seiber has an OEM font download which I did try after reading the above though he warns against it
--
*1) New1252.FON contains 3 ANSI fonts with Codepage 1252. That's the codepage normally used under
Windows. But the font has the OEM flag set and its internal name is 'Terminal'. Therefore Windows

It didn't help, but it doesn't seem to have hurt.

Seibert also offers a workaround, which I am also a bit nervous about trying --

If nothing helps, you can try the harder way. If you open the SYSTEM.INI in your Windows folder you
will see something like this:

[386enh]
woafont=app850.FON
EGA80WOA.FON=EGA80850.FON
EGA40WOA.FON=EGA40850.FON
CGA80WOA.FON=CGA80850.FON
CGA40WOA.FON=CGA40850.FON

If you change the first or one oft '80' items to NewDOS.fon, New850.fon or however your font files
are named, the new sizes should appear in the list. Maybe a restart is required.

I don't really need these, I've been doing OK with what W2K provides, so I may not proceed, at least
not now. But if anybody has been through this, I'd be curious to read the results.

Philip