Xydos to Quark?

A major client has just decided that I have to submit my
materials in Word for Mac, since, they claim, when they send
my Xydos files to Quark, such rudimentary things as
quotation marks, apostrophes and dashes disappear. This is
all straight text, no tables, no fancy formatting.

I have to discuss this with the client's tech person on
Monday, but will have very little time between now and then
to search the Xy archives and get my teeth into researching
a solution.

If fellow xywriters who have encountered Xydos-Quark
problems can, without too much trouble, suggest (A)
solutions to the problem and/or (B) discussion points for me
to use with the tech person, I will be most grateful.

I use Xydos 4.018 and Win98 v4.10 1998.

[] Can anything be done to get Xy files into Quark?

[] Can Xydos files be converted into Word? The Word that
came with my computer is so outrageously horrible that I
will not allow it space on my hard drive, but if I buy a
new, theoretically usable, Word for PC can I convert Xydos
files to it without losing anything? From there, they tell
me, I can save as Word for Mac, and transmit to the client.

The first chance I get I will start combing the archives,
but hope I will get some responses from the list too.

Many thanks

Judith Davidsen