From: mailto:hb@xxxxxxxxHarry Binswanger
Subject: Re: printer problems {again}

         --I turn on the computer and it goes through its initial, fast DOS-looking startup (I don't know the name for this), and then this shows up: C:\>pause, and right below that, it reads: "press any key to continue." In other words, the C: prompt with "pause" turns up immediately, before I've touched any key other than the button to turn on the computer. If my memory serves, this never happened before in all the years I've used this.

It's undoubtedly something in your autoexec.bat file. Take a look at that, and change it. If you can't use Xy to edit it, use EDIT, which comes with DOS and Windows 3.1 Or even simpler, at DOS rename it:

REN AUTOEXEC.BAT AUTOEXEC.SAV

(Caps don't matter.)

Then restart your computer. Should be no problem.

          --Next, I "press any key" and I get Windows' "Start-up" window. Using the keyboard (rather than a mouse, which I don't have for this setup),  I then hit: Alt F (for file); X (for exit Windows), and Enter (for OK to "This will end your Windows session."

I never used Win 3.1 much, but I'm fairly sure you don't need to do that. You only need to get a DOS box (C: prompt) within Windows.

           --Normally at this point, I call up a file from the disk on A: (could also do it from C:), and I write out "ty" or "type" and the printing begins. However, for the last few days, it reads "printer error" and simply won't print.

Try printing from DOS itself, using either the PRINT command or COPY LPT1

If you can, there should be no problem (other than some setting in Xy) in printing from Xy. At least you can file back on using TYF in Xy, then printing the file produced (by default, FO.TMP) from DOS per above. If you can't print from DOS, the problem has nothing to do with Xy but with how the computer is trying to talk to the printer (check, e.g., cables).

 And as I said, the other new weird thing is that when I try to quit, either in C: or A:, it insists that I have a file open when I don't.

That's apparently a separate, and minor, problem.

            I hope I described it a little better this time.

Yes. It's very likely your autoexec.bat file.

It just seems as if something is stuck. Is there perhaps a directory or file I need to delete? Should I unplug and replug the entire works?
            Any help is very much appreciated, as I need to start making printouts this week. Thanks.

Another thing it could (conceivably) be is your CMOS setting, which you can change by hitting some key or other on boot-up (very early in the process). There should be some notice on the very first boot-up screen, like "Hit del to enter CMOS."

Good luck.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx