Re: Lee Hickling's questions

I can answer the first of Lee's questions. The filtering technology was
licensed from MasterSoft, whose full product was called Word for Word. This
technology was sold to Adobe, and I don't know what happened to the "full"
product after that. Last week, Inso Corp. (where I work, but I didn't have
anything to do with it) bought the filtering technology from Adobe. Inso
sells QuickView Plus, a viewing and file-management technology for Windows (a
cut-down version is shipped with Win95).

You could always have your correspondents save to an RTF format, with XyWrite
should be able to import and export to handily. Also, even the fanciest
updates can usually save to an older -- and Xy-friendly -- format. (BTW,
I've read that Word97 will create files that are incompatible with Word95.
 You have to create a special setting in '97 to force it to save in '95
format. Goes to show that anybody can make stupid mistakes.)

One of the best conversion technologies seems to be Conversions Plus (but it
doesn't have Xy filters). It will convert from and to most formats, and in
addition, it will read and write to Mac high-density disks. A real boon to
someone putting together a newsletter from disparate sources (as I did for 4
years).

Good luck

Tim Baehr
tbaehr@xxxxxxxx