Re Elephant story

Well, as this episode is supposed to have taken place in the 1920s, I
don't see any need to modernize the spelling. Only 800 pages? The version
I heard (well, one of two recensions) had a couple of library carts full
of books from the Herr Professor. And I rather thought it was Einleitung,
rather than Einführung, but I heard this 40 years ago and may well be
mistaken. Or maybe what I heard was Eine einleitende Einführung (though
wouldn't even a Herr Porfessor shrink from that pile-up of Eins?). Wesen
is a good reconstruction. Thanks.
Patricia