Re: OT: DOS booting

Let me see: the shell32.dll is part of Windows, it got corrupted, and you downloaded a copy elsewhere and are trying to copy it to C: Is that right?
Yes. Or I assume it is shell32.dll, give the error messages. That and/or
explorer.exe.
 Doesn't XP have something analogous to W2K's Windows Recovery Console?

There's SFC (system files check) which didn't do the job.
Partitioning the drive doesn't prevent your putting stuff on C.
And if you're installing new programs all the time, with only one partition and nothing but a restore CD, your PC is headed for disaster.

No doubt. I'm no stranger to computer disaster.
Anyone who tries out new software a lot should really, really follow Jordan's advice and have a maintenance partition, with a whole, cloned known good copy of Windows and all really essential apps installed. Then when the one you use for a test bed gets hosed, just boot to the other (through the BIOS boot sequence option).
WAIT A MINUTE! Are you saying that *logical* partitions are recognized by
the BIOS boot sequence thing??!! So I could create a logical partition, on
the same physical drive, and boot from it rather than C? If that's true,
that changes everything. I assume(d) that logical partitioning comes in at
a "higher level" than the BIOS setup stage, and that a logical D: or E:
drive wouldn't be listed as a boot-sequence at that stage of booting (i.e.,
before anything of significance has been loaded).
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx

Harry Binswanger