Re: Change Invisibles: migrating from Xy 3.55 to 4.017

Reply to note from Peter Brown  Mon, 13 Mar 2000
11:18:28 -0500

-> My strip routine, which is probably about as inelegant as this
-> list can imagine, searches for "fn1" in expanded mode, then
-> changes to normal mode (CM), and finally does a backspace
-> delete [BD] (it loops on those deletions until all the
-> footnotes are outta there).

Why "inelegant"? You can't very well use a CI command to delete
footnotes of indeterminate length. Your BD procedure makes sense to
me.

-> Trouble was, I wrote CM whenever I wanted the program to switch
-> modes (normal/expanded), and that meant that running the
-> routine in expanded mode would make my mode switching and
-> context sensitive deletions tricky to correct.

Port your routine to Xy4 and you won't have to toggle the display at
all! SE |< The lesson, I guess, is to avoid scroll lock ...

.... like the plague! Open your keyboard file right now and execute
CI |70=TS|70=CS|

Func CS means "Clear ScrollLock"; the effect is to disable an
antiquated feature that should have been abolished years ago. Use
PFUN xx to embed functions.

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/