Re: Buying new computer - what operating systems will work with Xywrite

Avrom Fischer wrote:
My no name clone just died. It had windows xp professional and 2 gigs of ram and an amd aetholon 2400 chip. Since this is the third no-name clone that did not last two years I am back to name brands.
When you say "no name," what exactly do you mean? With most
assembled-to-order PCs, you get to choose the components, and if you get
reliable ones, the system should last. Case in point: we have two boxes
at the office with Asus mobos, and my current home machine has an AsRock
mobo, which is Asus's bargain basement line. My previous box, which is
still running though it had to have several components replaced, was
sold to me as ECS, but turned out to be PCChips (both
bottom-of-the-barrel brands).
The thing everyone seems to be overlooking is that it's difficult to get
even XP on a name brand box: they are bound and determined to ram Vista
down our throats. Try the business divisions of the brands, as many Very
Big Corporations do have the gumption (in both the British and American
senses) to resist this. (See, Harry, I do occasionally say something
nice about Very Big Corporations).
But you are going to have a very hard time finding a new name-brand PC
that has drivers for W98. and without the drivers, even if you can get
it working, it will be complaining about new hardware found (but not
knowing what it is) every time you boot. It you have the desk space and
the electric circuits, a better solution is two PCs: a second-hand W98
box and a new XP or even Vista (shudder) one, networked together so you
can share data drives. I have some URLs of dealers in second-hand boxes,
but right now I am driven from my flat by an invading squirrel. Top of
my head I recall www.techforless.com. But the Dell you're using could
well be your W98 box, and just get a new one for Windows-specific
chores. (Of course, I loathe Dells, but that's another story.)
I observe that your address, Avrom, indicates you're in NYC. Another
member of this list got a system earlier this year or late last from a
Brooklyn assembler, with the same mobo as mine, with which she was very
well pleased. That board does have W98 drivers, so if there are any
left, and you're willing to try again with an assembled box (and that's
all I've used since my 2d PC, and only had problems with 2, one of which
was my own fault), that might be worth looking at. Once Scurius invasor
is routed, I'll see if I can dig up specs and the name of the company.

Bob Ashley wrote:
>>In W98Se, I used the XyW windows extensively. With W2000 I can't because
>> the`y are horribly slow <<
Really? I run Xy 4 in a Window on 2000 at the office (where I'm working now, thanks to Mr.--or Ms.--Squirrel), and beyond a slight jerkiness I do not observe slowness. Others have reported this, though, and I suspect an errant setting. Unfortunately, no one has ever had the time to debug the issue thoroughly, and we really should. I cannot believe it is inherent to W2K.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx