Re: A plea for clarity

≪ Harry Binswanger:

 Far be it from me to be opposed to clarity. I have been using ^ for ctrl, *
 for shift, and @ for alt for many years, as much documentation does, and
 have yet to encounter a complaint from anyone who can't understand them
 (that was not your complaint). ≫ --N. Sivin

Nathan: I've never seen the shift and alt symbols anywhere but
your msgs, and ignoring advice that uses them is easier than asking
for clarification--or, as you put it, complaining.

≪ It would be a good idea to mention functions along with keystrokes.
I just don't think most people would be willing to do it. ≫

I'm unfamiliar with the default kbd map except for F5, F9, and F10.
This applies to v3 and v4. One needn't be a guru to remap the kbd.
The first file of any kind I ever edited with xyW was a custom .kbd.
From day one, even my BC, XC, and CC have been assigned to non-Fkeys.
Every time someone mentions a func solely by kbd position I just go
on to the next msg. I find the v4 reference manual maddening to use
because it too refers to funcs only to key assignments. (May apply
as well to the v3 docs; I never used them.)

Anyone who wants to be widely understood would do well to heed
Harry's points.                     --a