Re: Saving FE as FE

** Reply to message from "Martin J. Osborne"
 on Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:47:38 -0400

> I have a substitution file that contains a substitution
> for ASCII 254 (hex FE). When saving this file, Xy4
> translates FE to FF 46 45 (hex)

FF 46 45 = "{255}FE". 254|FEx is a reserved XyWrite control
character. You canNOT insert it into text as a one-byte
character! Period. XyWrite will crash ("STACK STACK STACK
STACK ...").

If you explain more of what you're trying to do, and
procedurally how you do it -- maybe it can be arranged. What do
you mean, a "substitution file"? An SU: table in a PRN file?
An auto-correct file, which changes a *single* character?? If
you have hundreds of files that "rely" on this character, how
did you just discover that it doesn't work in Xy4 (after lo
these many years)?

> It was probably unwise to use a subsitution for
> ASCII 254 to begin with

254 has been a control character for a long time! Even under
Xy3.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx