Saving FE as FE

I have a substitution file that contains a substitution for ASCII 254
(hex FE). When saving this file, Xy4 translates FE to FF 46 45 (hex),
rendering the substitution ineffective. Xy3 doesn't do that, and so
when editing that one file I have been using Xy3. Alternatively I can
edit it in Xy4 and then use a hex editor to fix it up. Is there a way
of using only Xy4 and avoiding the need to fix the file? (I've checked
xywwweb.u2, and couldn't find a tool that fits exactly.)

[It was probably unwise to use a subsitution for ASCII 254 to begin
with, but I did it many years ago and now have hundreds of files that
rely on it.]

--
Martin J. Osborne
Department of Economics