Re: XyWin stops working

andy turnbull wrote:
xy for windows? does it exist? I've been using xyiiia in a dos window in a windows machine. Is xy for windows a take-off on xy4? Can it work like xyiiia? Is it still available?
None of the versions of XyWrite are "available" in the sense that
you could go out and buy a copy anywhere. They're what is called
"abandonware": the previous owner hasn't formally relinquished
copyright, but doesn't seem to be actively pursuing people who
give a couple of their friends copies.
XyWrite for Windows is pretty flaky, and won't run at all on some
XP boxes. Xy 4 works quite well under all versions of Windows
(somebody is even running it on Vista). If you like to run in
windowed mode (rather than full-screen) and your hardware is
fairly fast, you may experience a certain degree of jerkiness as
the cursor responds--or takes its time responding--to keystrokes
under Windows 2000 and XP.
Note well that under XP and W 2000, you CAN print to a USB
printer from Xy or any DOS app IF the printer understands a
supported printer language. That is, if your printer is an HP PCL
or a Postscript one, and you have a network card in your PC, you
should be able to tell Xy and the opsys that that USB printer is
actually on LTP2. This is done using a command from the DOS
prompt. We first need to know what kind of printer you have; if
it can work with any of the XyIII drivers, we can tell you how to
do it.
Xy 4 is available at XyWrite.com and vetusware.com, and with the
addition of XyWWWEB.com's U2 routines, you can print to ANY
printer, attached to any port, using two (valuable in their own
right) additional programs, Ghostscript (free) and GSView
(nagware, but worth every penny of its some $30 US price).
Tell us what kind of printer you have, and we'll recommend the
best way for you to go. NotaBene is also a solution, but it
costs, and is, I gather, forever being upgraded.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx