Re: finding files

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, tgieske wrote:

> OK, you awesomely dedicated Xywritistes, explain me this: What do you think
> Orbis can do that Xywrite's find file can't?

Orbis creates a textbase index for selected files, which you rapidly
search for file segments (usually paragraphs, though that and most
everything else is customizable) that match your complex search
strategy. From the display of found items, you select the item(s) you
want, save in a file, or insert into your current editing session. The
GUI version in NBWin is easier to work with than the text-only version
in NBDos. You can Orbis different sets of files to create different
textbases to search on specific topics. The indexed files themselves are
not modified.

Orbis's predecessor, NB TextBase, was a licensed FYI3000, itself known
in an earlier incarnation as SuperFile. Those who have used either of
those or some other file or disk indexer such as XyIndex, Magellan, IZE,
or Gopher, will know how different that is from a simple string search
through files. Orbis's seamless integration into NB allows you to use it
without interruption as you write, rather than switching to some other
application and disrupting your train of thought. Used in conjunction
with Ibidem, it provides the ability to incorporate extensive notetaking
with bibliographic management.

	Dorothy

*****
Dorothy Day			School of Library & Information Science
day@xxxxxxxx					   Indiana University
*****
	"He also surfs who only sits and waits."

 Oct 11, 1999: According to John Roth, chief executive of Nortel
 Networks, an estimated 2.5 billion hours were wasted online last
 year as people waited for pages to download.