Re: Print Drivers

Ed Cray wrote:

> Folks:
>
> After many years, my HP-IIP laser printer has ground to a halt and must be
> replaced. Which raises the question of print drivers.
>
> I am informed that the newer HP lasers, the 1100 series, do not use the
> print drivers that worked so well with HP-II through at least IV, those
> included in my DOS-based Xywrite 3.57.

My father is in a similar situation with his XY-3+ and HP-IIIP combination,
looking at expensive repairs -- outside the country, where it may take as long
as 3 months to get parts. He is probably going to have to buy some make &
model of inkjet printer to fill in this gap, even assuming he decides to go
ahead with the repairs. (This is the basis for a forthcoming msg., to be
posted here.)

I think the problem is somewhat exacerbated for XY-3 vs. XY-4, in that there
seem to have been more drivers and a wider selection of printer drivers -- or,
at least, drivers for more recent printer models -- written for the latter.
(Xy-Win / Nota Bene is a different situation, one I'm not familiar with, so I
can't comment there.)

This is probably not the solution you had in mind, but it is an option: there
is a pretty vigorous market for used and reconditioned HP Lasers, going back
to at least the vintage of the LJ-II that I still use as my text-only
printer.  There is also a Co. here in S. Calif. that claims to stock parts
and supplies for all of them (service too, if you're local, but service is not
all that hard to find elsewhere.)

Of course, given the XY reference manuals and a decent Tech. Ref. manual for a
new printer not otherwise covered, it *is* possible to write one's own printer
file from some appropriate template (such as a generally similar one), or even
from scratch, for either XY-3 or XY-4. This is far from an easy chore, but it
can be done. No binary files to mess with. Depending on one's personal
aptitudes, it is arguably quite a bit easier than XPL programming.  I would
imagine that some subscribers to this list have actually done this. I sure
hope so, because I may be needing your help.

Jordan Fox