Re: EMS memory

J R FOX wrote:

Patricia M. Godfrey wrote: IF you HAVE EMS
memory, Xy will glom onto it
I'm guessing that most latter day main boards no
longer offer this ?

Well, the new system we got at the office does. Asus mobo, AMD 64 Dual
core; it has two PS/2 ports and a parallel one.

What has been said here is that if you have to enable USB in DOS (as
you do if you have only a USB keyboard: otherwise you'd never be able
to get into the BIOS setup if you needed to), that usurps the memory
that would be used for EMS. But I flat out refuse to buy a desktop
system that doesn't have at least one PS/2 port for a keyboard. How
long that will be possible, I don't know. But a keyboard that can only
be accessed once Windows is running strikes me as utterly asinine.
That is not perhaps clear. If you don't have a PS/2 port for your
keyboard, you have to set USB available to DOS in the BIOS setup. To
get into the BIOS setup, you have to hit a certain key (it differs
from system to system; there's a message flashes on the screen as
you're booting: "Hit [whatever] to enter BIOS setup") as you're
booting. But how do you hit the key if the keyboard isn't recognized
until Windows has loaded? As I say, I wouldn't touch such a system
with a bargepole, so I don't know how it works. I assume that in
systems without a PS/2 port, USB enabled in DOS is the default.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx