Re: Is there a macro...?

Reply to note from "M.W. Poirier"  Sat,
30 Jun 2007 14:55:03 -0400 (EDT)

> As I recall, there was a macro in the last DOS version of NB--
> NB 4.5b, if I recall well--that gave one the ALT+number pad
> combination that permit one to recreate the character under
> one's cursor. ... Is there something similar in the U2 file?

Of course there is. V3 returns the numeric code (decimal
and hexadecimal) of the character under the cursor. (Obviously, the
decimal number is the relevant one for your purpose.) If the
character in question is a 3-byter, V3 identifies the three
constituent bytes, by displaying both their numeric codes and the
characters themselves on the PRompt line. (It's this ability to
_V_isualize _3_byte character components that gives V3 its name.)

Many of you seem to be hazy about how to find features in U2. Let's
start with the basics: The documentation for all U2 routines is
collected in XYWWWEB.INF, a XyWrite document that can be CAlled,
browsed, and SEarched, just like any other XyWrite text file.
XYWWWEB.INF includes brief, one-line descriptions for all U2
commands (a/k/a "frames" or "routines"), as well as detailed Help
screens for many of those commands. XYWWWEB.INF is (or should be)
located in the same directory as XYWWWEB.U2, that is, the directory
that has EDITOR.EXE.

Most users probably are aware that HELP [command_name]
displays the Help screen (if one exists) for the command in
question, or at least the one-line description of the command.
Thus, HELP V3 displays the documentation for V3 and related
commands. (There is more information at HELP HELP.)

This is great if you already know the name of the command that you
want to look up, but what about the situation where you don't even
know whether the command you have in mind even exists, much less its
name? The news here is that U2's HELP command has a "fuzzy" search
capability that allows you to comb through XYWWWEB.INF for
references to subjects, topics, concepts, tasks, etc., related to
your query, and, in the process, to identify routines that are
mentioned in connection with those subjects, topics, concepts or
tasks. This can often help you discover the command you need.

For example, a concept associated with the V3 routine above might be
"ascii number". If you issue HELP ASCII NUMBER, it CAlls
XYWWWEB.INF and manufactures a SEarch command that, when executed
repeatedly, will bring you to the Help screen for V3. (The more
generic HELP KEY NUMBER will also get you there, albeit
much more laboriously. Be warned that some obviously relevant
phrases will not always be productive. For example, HELP ALT
NUMBER, although related to your query, will not lead you to V3.
Try synonyms, variants and associated concepts; persistence pays.)
Here are some other concept searches to try:

help key codes
help print usb
help automatic save
help underline mode
help execute dos command

Try the HELP command with your own topic phrases. It's fun, it's
instructive, and it will help you squeeze more utility -- and more
utilities -- out of U2.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx