glitch putting xy on XP computer - possible clue?

This makes no sense to me, but maybe it does to one of you:

If I try them in e:\xy, both spell check and thesaurus work fine.

If I have e:\xy open on half the screen, and a different Xywrite directory in the other half, spell check works in both directories; but thesaurus still only works in the xy directory.

If I have any Xywrite file other than e:\xy on the screen by itself, neither spell check nor thesaurus works -- I get the 'File not found in E:\Windows\System 32\ message when I try to call both of them.

Lynn