OT: Swapping hard drives

Back in 2001, Harry Binswager and Otis Port were talking about using a
system in which they put hard drives into carriers, put an adapter in an
external bay, and swapped hard drives in and out of the bay to use
different configurations, operating systems, etc.

I've decided that's the way to go.

What do you call those carriers, and where do you get them?

I think it was Harry who recommended Computergate
http://www.computergate.com for the carriers and DriveGuys
http://www.driveguys.com for hard drives. I must say, though, that
CompUSA and Staples were selling 30 GB and 40 GB hard drives for about $1 a
GB, and that's pretty hard to beat. I wonder whether there's anyplace else
that sells these. Somebody mentioned a place on 37th St. between 6th and
7th Ave. or something.

I thought I could buy some 20 GB hard drives cheaply and configure them as
a RAID backup, but the 20 GB (and even the 10 GB) cost almost as much as
the 40 GB, and it's a pretty slippery slope to 60 GB and 80 GB. I guess the
day of home terabyte HDs is fast approaching.

Norman

Norman Bauman
411 W. 54 St. Apt. 2D
New York, NY 10019