Substitute EOF marker (was Re: xy as html)

On Sat, 11 May 1996, Robert Holmgren wrote:

> ** Reply to note from Dorothy Day 04/18/96 4:50pm -0500 > > > Well, Nota Bene (just Xy
in different clothing) allows changing that EOF > > Ctrl-Z to any other character if you
want--so it can't be that difficult > > for Xywrite. I don't know whether TTG programmers
have ever addressed > > this; the comments from "xy gurus" sound like from way back. > >
Interesting. Could you describe the NB procedure for changing
> Ascii-26|Ctrl-Z to another character? Is it a default?

Well, it can be set through a little menu routine that's unique to
NB4.x, or you can place the following line in a file containing your defaults (the current
name in NB4.x is NBCUSTOM.SET, formerly
DEFAULT.SET -- NB separates out many defaults from the .PRN file):

    1A=@

(where @ can be any character other than ^Z, which allows the editor to read past it,
unlike the effect using the default ^Z has).

Prabably setting this default on the command line would make it stick only for the current
session; putting it in a .PRN file would make it
"permanent."

I vaguely remember that this could be set in NB3.x's DEFAULT.SET file, though the menu
operation had not yet been implemented. That means it probably existed as early as XYDOS
3.54 or 3.56 (undocumented, since it's not even in Tyson, as far as I can tell).

---
Dorothy Day
Indiana University