Re: "Garbage" misunderstood

On 09/25/97 at 05:53 AM,
  Eric Van Tassel <101233.342@xxxxxxxx> said (in so many words):

<- Perhaps I shouldn't have posted my complaint, since the answer is
<- obvious: find another access provider. But apart from the fact that
<- C'serve is the cheapest I've found, I like certain features of its
<- system -- the relative ease of reading 50 or so incoming messages each
<- day, and the speed with which I can transfer incoming e-mail from
<- C'serve's "In-basket" to other text-file directories on my hard drive,
<- thence to be read and edited in XyWrite.

Most of that stuff is a necessary part of e-mail over the internet.
(some isn't; standardly anything beginning with "X-" is purely
informational rather than functionally important. Or rather not mandated
to functional by the internet standards). Of course, most of the time
*we* don't need to see that stuff, even though it needs to be there. A
competent mail client will a) (optionally) suppress *displaying* it in
the message viewer and b) offer the option of saving to disk with header
info deleted.
 In the OS/2 world there are at least three such competent mail clients,
including mine, MR/2 ICE. I *think*, from some glances at colleagues'
screens, that Eudora in the Windows world is competent.
 Competent mail clients allow you to shop for a competent ISP. Also I
now rarely use strip.prn and the like since I can drop a Xy file onto my
mailer and it will happily handle the word wrapping and not barf at the
codes should I chose not to strip them.

--
                     Regards,
                     David

Spoil the child/Spare the rod/Open up the caviare/And say Thank God.
	--Noel Coward
"What would life be without arithmetic, but a scene of horrors?"
            -Rev. Sydney Smith, letter to young lady, 22 July 1835

take a look at: http://www.best.com/~derm

David Auerbach              auerbach@xxxxxxxx (David Auerbach)
Department of Philosophy & Religion
NCSU