Re: Footnote ref. nos.

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Carl Distefano wrote:
> Reply to note from Eric Van Tassel <101233.342@xxxxxxxx>
> Thu, 16 Oct 97 11:20:59 +0000
>
> -> Has anyone found a way to (for instance) set the text in a
> -> traditional font like Times Roman or Garamond but have
> -> superscripts in a sans-serif Helvetica or Univers?
>
> Sure. You could set up two styles, UP and DowN, that establish
> MoDes SUperscript and NorMal and associate them with the desired
> fonts. For example,

And in XY3, you can take another route: alter the PT tables in your
printer file so that MD SU or MD SD always invoke a font distinct from
other modes within the same table. I've made up "nonexistent" modes
(e.g., MD 90), which are defined later in the printer file in font tables
(FO:). By this method you can also get XY3 to include different character
sets (i.e., "US:" within the font table) under the same font name.
   End result, for example, a text-file in Garamond that only has one
font (Garamond, 12pt) specified in the file but that, when printed, uses
footnotes in Times 10pt and that prints both accented characters (Roman
character set) and line-drawing characters (same ASCII numbers, different
character set) within the same file.

Carlo Caballero
Research Associate
The Graduate School and College of Music
University of Colorado, Boulder

thyrsus@xxxxxxxx