Footnotes

I've been having serious problems getting footnotes to work properly in Xy4
(DOS). The problems are (1) footnotes not appearing on the same page as the
main text that has the footnote marker; (2) the last couple of lines of a
footnote wrapping to the next page, even though there's space left on the
current page; and (3) (perhaps a variation on (2)), too much white space
between the end of the main text on a page and the footnotes. I've tried
playing with the bottom footnote default, the BT settings, FS, FW, etc. -- all
the obvious possibilities -- but to no avail. Has anyone else reported these
problems? Have they been identified as bugs? And most importantly, can you
suggest any solutions? This is an urgent problem, affecting a core function
for many XyWriters. We're on the verge of reverting to XyIII+ for documents
with footnotes (though there were problems there, too). Any ideas?