off-topic: scheduled backup to external hard drive

Dear List,
    Does anyone know of an external hard drive that is compatible with Win 98SE?
    My local computer technician found that my Win 98 SE OS rejected products that advertise such compatibility. (He says Win 98SE had six iterations, which may account for the problem.)
    I work in Xywrite, and 98SE is perfectly adequate for my Windows program needs; but I want the security of  scheduled nightly backup to an external drive. Now it seems I may have to move to another OS to get that.
    I'm extremely reluctant to go to Win XP for the reason cited in the past by M. W. Poirier: I don't want to lose the crisp lettering of the Dos window I get in 98SE.  When I tried my DOS Xy 3+ on a friend's XP machine, I could open it in 1) a small window, in which I could only split the Xy screen 10/90 instead of 50/50;  or 2), with alt/enter, a full screen with large fuzzy letters wherein all the pixels are visible.
    Neither option is good for someone who works all day in Xywrite, with her notes on one side of the Xy screen and article on the other.
    I have diligently gone through the archives and read the numerous threads about getting Xy to work in XP. But I'm a journalist, not a computer expert, and most of them are out of my depth.  I gather that many list members are using Xy full screen in XP. But has anyone succeeded in replicating the Win 98 SE Dos box -- a box that fills about 85% of the screen -- in XP?
    Another question: Would it be possible to keep my win 98 SE setup for Xywrite, but automatically back my work up to an external hard drive with Win 2k and XP if the computer technician partitioned my hard drive, keeping 98SE on part of it and installing Win 2K or XP on the other?
    Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
    Lynn Brenner