Re: off-topic: scheduled backup to external hard drive

At 10:24 AM 4/2/2006, BrennerNY@xxxxxxxx wrote:
I'm extremely reluctant to go to Win XP for the reason cited in the past by M. W. Poirier: I don't want to lose the crisp lettering of the Dos window I get in 98SE. When I tried my DOS Xy 3+ on a friend's XP machine, I could open it in 1) a small window, in which I could only split the Xy screen 10/90 instead of 50/50; or 2), with alt/enter, a full screen with large fuzzy letters wherein all the pixels are visible.
As I reported earlier, the current version of TAME (5.0) works --
with a few careful tweaks -- very well on XY in XP. I have it working
on three machines now, two Dell XP Pro setups and one ThinkPad 41 XP
Pro setup. Sometimes I get a fillip (forgive the transfiguration) but
I have been working in the setup some three weeks now. You can work
in both full window or DOS console, and you have access to most fonts
in both views. I happen to be using Foncraft's Courier. At the
moment, I'm working on a Sony G220 (17-inct CRT) driven by an ATI
9700 board at 1024X768 without 2D anti-aliasing (font smoothing set
to *standard*) and the text is stunning. I've tested two 20-inch
LCD's at 1600X1200 with anti-aliasing (software not hardware as in
Matrox's card) and the XY text in the console looks even more
stunning. I'm not advocating for David Thomas' program here, but I
must say he is very accommodating. He's posted no less that five
test versions of XY revisions to his program. (If it's possible and
the cognoscenti here have any time at all, I'm sure they could tell
David a lot more that I can tell him, which, basically, is to report
as accurately and fully as I can the anomalies and artifacts of each
of his test iterations.) Working in XP has given me access to new
software and hardware that makes my work life a lot easier.

michael.norman@xxxxxxxx