Re: OT: Who said it?

Harry Binswanger wrote:
the split infinitive issue is one to which I've more or less succumbed.
If by that you mean that you do, on occasion, split infinitives, my whole point was that it is often acceptable, and sometimes absolutely necessary, to do so.
"It's an issue to which I've, in conformity with modern practice to which I've, in my dotage, on which others on the list have commented, attained become accustomed succumbed."
That's the way you might well say it in Latin or
German. Except--what is the subject of attained? You've
got (excluding the initial "It's an issue") three
nominatives (I, I, others) but four finite verbs: have
commented, have attained, have become accustomed, have
succumbed. Clarify that, and I may be tempted to put it
into Latin, just for the heck of it.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx