Re: Copyright or Wrong

At 09:19 PM 8/15/02 -0400, Richard Henderson wrote:

>Your congressman/woman is running for re-election this year, so if you
think that the copyright law should be changed to allow for use of
otherwise protected works, where the copyright holder is no longer
accessible to the public, so that permission can be granted, now is a good
time to suggest such a change.

My Senator is Hillary Clinton. I looked up her campaign contributors on the
Internet. Her biggest single contributor was the Walt Disney Corporation.
The suggestion that she would pay attention to my concerns about copyright,
when they are in conflict with Disney's, is ludicrous.

PS on the copyright law: I think the Digital Millenium Copyright Act holds
you (or at least your webmaster) harmless for posting copyrighted works if
you remove them as soon as a copyright holder complains. It doesn't sound
like Mr. Big is going to complain. If he does, you can take it down.

It's situation ethics. You compare the benefit with the harm that will be
done by copying the work. In this case, it's all good, and no harm that I
can see.

Norman

Norman Bauman
411 W. 54 St. Apt. 2D