Re: Windows XP?

** Reply to message from ArtL7@xxxxxxxx on Fri, 8 Mar 2002 01:44:20 EST

Windows XP, OS/2, Windows NT, and Windows 2000 do not run on top of DOS,
unlike Windows 95, 98 and ME which do. The former are true 32-bit
operating systems; the latter are graphic user interfaces that are, in a
sense, nothing more than fancy DOS programs.

But XP, OS/2, NT and W2K all have the ability run DOS programs by invoking
a "DOS Box", a software emulator that runs within the 32-bit operating
system and presents a DOS-like environment to a DOS program.

The popular press has gotten these two things mixed up, and you will see
statements to the effect that "XP no longer supports DOS." Not true!

While I have no experience with XP, I can confirm that Xywrite DOS 4.018
and many other DOS programs run just fine under OS/2, NT and W2K.

Tom Hawley
tjh@xxxxxxxx